Skip to content

Building w.s. – Doors

August 28, 2017

Peephole

I installed the doors: three storage room doors and the garage door (above is the photo shot through the hole for the lock of the garage door.

We purchased the doors already a while ago in Hämeenlinna at the Suomen Ylijäämävarasto. We haven’t prioritised assembling them because it was raining still from the top. But with the roof covered, we could also plug these “holes” in the walls before the first snow is coming…

The doors itself are ready (however the lock mechanism came separately), but the door frame had to be assembled first before it could be screwed into place:

DoorFrameParts

The holes for the screws attaching the frame to the logs had to drilled. I’m used that these are ready made in the door frames but that’s something missing for these slightly cheaper doors. Few screws and a couple of polite touches with the hammer later, the frame is ready.

DoorFrameAssembled

Installing them in the log frame is a part which I don’t particular care for because of the endless procedure of adjustments of the 6 screws until the frame is both horizontally as well vertically in the right place.

The garage doors had to be lifted in by two persons (the other half coming in handy here) due to their weight. I still need to attach the lock and bolts to keep them in place:

Garagedoor

 

I installed the other doors myself. Attaching the doors is a thing of minutes. However, attaching the handles and the lock turned out to be a 2 hour project…

I probably made all the possible mistakes one can make for such a small project: I took the locking mechanism for the left handed doors (unlike the doors the locking mechanism is not symmetric) instead of the right handed one. I also measured the depth from the door frame to the locking mechanism on the wrong side of the door which meant that the lock cylinder was too deep for the key to turn. Hence, I had to first disassemble the whole thing to switch the locking mechanism and then later half of all parts again to put the lock cylinder into the right place. Well, the next time it should take me an hour less, but there is still plenty of cutting with the grinder to be done to customise all screws and other parts to the required length.

DoorHandle

The door handles are 25 Euro pieces from K-Rauta. The locks are typical Finnish Abloy locks. We decided to use the same key than we use for the sauna also for the workshop building. Having made 4 additional locks for existing keys set us back 560 Euro. I really wish somebody would be break that semi-monopoly of Abloy apart one beautiful day.

DoorWIndow

The large window has been in place already for a while. The window you see in the above photo is actually the former window of the living room of the Villa (and the window which was delivered with the workshop is now in the Villa). We decided to swap the windows from the Villa to the workshop because we did not want that big beam in the middle to block our view to the lake anymore (we also decided later on to remove the decorative crosses in the Villa for an even more undisturbed view to what I call my log home-TV (simply looking out the large window).

Next up, closing of the sides of the workshop…

Update: Below a photo of the replacement window in the Villa:

Window

Advertisements
2 Comments leave one →
  1. September 11, 2017 8:09 am

    Now I am curious, how did you manage to switch the windows? I mean, I’ve got smaller building and bigger building in my project, and there would have been no way to switch the windows, the small sauna cottage with 112×118 logs cannot take the windows from the bigger cottage 180×260 logs. The windows would have been too big. So you have the same size of frames in both workshop and main villa?

  2. The Other Half permalink
    September 11, 2017 5:31 pm

    Well, switching the windows was one of these things-you-better-don’t-do-at-home exercises. Taking out the old one was straight forward: remove the cover boards, saw through the urethan foam, and screw out 6 screws. Because the old window can be de-assembled into 5 parts (frame + 4 windows) it is something 2 persons can do. However, to put the the new windows in was a nasty tasks. It took 4 people to carry the window and 6 folks to lift it into place.
    The old window frame is indeed 170 mm wide (as it was intended for a 200 mm log. It is now protruding roughly 75 mm into the workshop on the inside. Looks a bit funny, but it’s a workshop. My unlimited view on the lake was more important (see updated image I added to the blog post).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: