Skip to content

#MammuttikotiFail

August 16, 2015
by

What is more annoying than hidden faults in your loved log home? Some of them will show up only after several years and typically hard to fix.

We certainly had our share of problems with Mammuttikoti, the manufacturer of our log home, but actually nothing that unusual. Building projects never go without certain distractions and ultimately we got what we wanted. There was one large disagreement about the strength of the floor beams which we never resolved with them but we simply detracted the cost of the replacement beams from the final payment and never agreed to pay up.

One thing that failed only after years is the attachment of the tightening rods. The following bump showed up on the roof of the tower.

IMG_20150808_115109s

Initially I assumed that the bump is caused by movements of the tarpaper due to different temperatures. Some movement is quite normal. However, when I tried to push the bump down I faced heavy resistance from underneath. I had nothing else left than to start the painful removal of the covering boards under the roof, one after the other. And then I had to squeeze myself under the roof to check what is pushing the roof up.

It turns out that the natural shrinkage of the logs has caused the tightening rod to push against the roof boards.

IMG_20150808_123409s

The image above illustrated what is happening. The tightening rod has been left standing out from the top log too long. The nut shows how much the 29 rows of logs have shrunk. The rod should have been cut off above the nut already from the start. In addition, the ability to tighten the rod from below and, therefore, to “pull” the rod downwards over time is missing all together because Mammuttikoti has not cut access in the last log above the floor level to reach that tightening rod.

The only chance to prevent further damage to the roof was by painfully cutting off that useless rod manually with a hand saw, which again was very unpleasant because I have only few centimetres between the top log and the roof boards to move the hand saw. It took me about an hour to cut it off.
IMG_20150808_125909s

The danger of the tightening rod poking through the roof has now been prevented. Unfortunately, I could not remove the bump on the roof, neither by hammering from the top nor by trying to squeeze the roof boards back from below. I guess it remains to be a beauty fault for some time. Maybe, the the boards will flip back in shape due to temperature and humidity changes.

The culprit has been found now and removed at one tower. But I suspect there are two more tower corners where the same is happening and I have to repeat this routine.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: